SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) – A San Jose couple try to raise awareness after a hate incident occurred right on the porch.
Huang Zhu and Ying Huang said about two weeks ago that their six-year-old twins heard a lot of knocking and ringing and thought the UPS driver was at their door.
RELATED: Find resources to help with equality, justice, and race issues
Fortunately, they didn’t open the door because it was a man yelling racist comments and saying things like, “You brought COVID-19 with you.”
In one clip, the man says, “I said it’s your neighbor, open the door! You … Communist China! Open the door now! Communist China! You King ** Commies! This is America! It’s not f ** King (inaudible). “
What one son said was heartbreaking.
“He asked me, ‘Mom, did I do this because I see too much iPad and he’s here to punish me?’ I didn’t know what to say. I said, ‘You didn’t do anything wrong, we did absolutely nothing wrong,’ “says his mother.
VIDEO: Rally across the Bay Area to stop the violence of the AAPI
The couple told ABC7 news anchor Dion Lim, “We’ve been here for over 20 years. We haven’t seen anything near it. We had our education here and worked hard. We had no problems with it.” someone.”
San Jose police tell Dion Lim that the man was arrested for elderly abuse of his father and that what happened to this family is being investigated as a hate incident.
Huang and Ying then decided to tell their neighbors what happened. They brought boxes of See’s Candies door to door and informed those around them of what had happened. Many in the surrounding neighborhoods stepped in with their support after the couple reported the events on NextDoor.
The couple is about to issue an injunction against the man. They say that this type of behavior is not tolerated in their neighborhood and is encouraged by the support of the neighbors.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Asian Americans in the Bay Area share strong, painful memories of hatred
- The 83-year-old Asian man describes a debilitating SF attack and warns people to “be careful”.
- “Go Back to China”: Racist abuse suspect identified as the daughter of the late New York Senator
- The Asian-American victim is considering moving out of the state after a brutal attack in SF
- EXCLUSIVE: The 75-year-old Asian man warned of an increase in attacks days before the Oakland murder
- Daniel Dae Kim, members of Congress to testify on discrimination and violence against Asian Americans
- The Asian grandma was knocked unconscious in an unprovoked attack in NY
- Family outraged by SF DA’s description of the alleged murderer of the 84-year-old Asian man
- Nearly 3,800 anti-Asian hate incidents have been reported in the US since March 2020, the group said
- “This is terrible”: SFPD steps up patrols amid series of violent attacks on Asian Americans
- Daniel Wu and W. Kamau Bell discuss shocking crimes against Asian Americans
- Jeremy Lin, the guardian of the Santa Cruz Warriors, comments on the racial fraud directed against him
- The #StandForAsians rally draws hundreds to San Mateo, with 7th grade leading the charge
- Actors Daniel Dae Kim and Daniel Wu discuss violent crimes against Asian Americans in the Bay Area
- Police are investigating after an Asian man stabbed to death in Chinatown, New York City
- Burma Superstar is offering a $ 5,000 reward as ABC7 receives reports of additional attacks on Asian Americans
- EXCLUSIVE: Former Bay Area gang member arrested after threatening to kill Asians online
- “We are on the alert”: Volunteers arm contractors from Oakland Chinatown with air horns for security reasons
- Arrested in an attack on a Chinese woman in NYC after Olivia Munn sought help from the public
- Hundreds of people are volunteering to escort older Asian Americans to ensure their safety
- The rise in racism against Asian Americans is spurring change
- The Oakland Police Chief visits the shops in Chinatown, emphasizing the need for a “stronger presence” after attacks and crimes
Copyright © 2021 KGO-TV. All rights reserved.