Stinging in San Jose: Suspect recognized as frequent visitor

Suspect Fernando De Jesus Lopez-Garcia was arrested on Monday. On Wednesday, he was identified by San Jose Police Chief Eddie Garcia, who told reporters he was a frequent visitor to Grace Baptist Church, which provides meals and accommodation for people with homelessness and worked there to help set up staffing services in the country Night support of the incident.

He was on parole for domestic violence and had an active warrant at the time of the knife stab for failure to release the conditions on his most recent arrest, Garcia said.

CNN contacted the public defender’s office to find a legal representative for Lopez-Garcia.

Police responded to Grace Baptist Church just before 8 p.m. on Sunday and found five people with at least one stab wound each.

One adult man was pronounced dead on the scene and one adult woman died after being rushed to hospital. Three other adult men were taken to hospitals and were in serious but stable condition, police said Monday.

The identities of the victims were not disclosed, but police said four of the victims were members of the community affected by homelessness and one was a volunteer at the church home, Garcia said. The motive for the attack is still under investigation, but Garcia said they found no evidence that it was bias motivated.

The church is used as a shelter for the homeless and had no services at the time, police said.

“Our hearts are torn for the victims and their loved ones in the horrific knife stab at Grace Baptist Church on 10th Street last night,” Mayor Sam Liccardo said in a statement. “We have lost two parishioners and we are praying for the recovery of the other three who were badly injured in the attack.”

Lopez-Garcia had previously been convicted of assault with a lethal weapon and domestic violence. He had been arrested for domestic violence, was on parole and had an active warrant at the time of the knife stab for failure to comply with the release conditions when he was last arrested, Garcia said. Garcia said he was deported from the United States three times before the attack.

CNN’s Rebekah Riess and Hollie Silverman contributed to this report.

Comments are closed.